Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tomatillo-Lime Jelly Hors d' Oeurves

By far the most popular use for tomatillos is salsa verde, a savory topping for enchiladas, nachos, and other Mexican dishes.  They look like green tomatoes covered in husks, and are very sticky, so make sure you wash them prior to working with them.

I was turned on to this recipe by my cousin, and I couldn't wait to make it.  Being in Southern California, I have access to tomatillos year-round, and limes are currently in abundance - giant barrels sit in the produce section of my local grocery store; so I thought it would be a good time as any to try this unique jelly.  For this recipe, all you need is one 12-oz. jar, 1-2 limes, 1 lb. tomatillos, sugar, and salt.  Click HERE for Pati's Mexican Table's Tomatillo-Lime Jam recipe. 

  Peel and squeeze 1 lime, chop the tomatillos, mix all ingredients in a non-reactive pan, slowly simmer for approximately 45 minutes or until the consistency is slightly gelled, and - tada!  It's that easy.  Note:  this is not a tested recipe safe for canning and storing, to my knowledge.  I placed the jar in my fridge and plan to use quickly.
For this colorful and tasty little appetizer, get the dinner crackers of your choice, Havarti cheese, and julienned sun-dried tomatoes.   Stack cheese, tomatoes, and jelly on the crackers and serve.  xo, AB

No comments:

Post a Comment