Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pomegranate Jelly

8 pomegranates only yielded 4 perfect jars of this exquisite jelly, and I've already eaten an entire jar (pictured above).  These are not going to last like the rest of my cache of jams and jellies, I think I'm keeping them for myself!  This time around, working with pomegranates was much easier than when I made the pom syrup.  It's all in the techniques.

What you will need

4 sterilized 8-oz. jars with self-sealing lids and rings, sieve, bowl, wooden spoon, large pot, blender, 6-8 pomegranates, 1 lemon, powdered pectin, and white cane sugar.

Making the juice:



Jelly is made from juice, as opposed to jam, which is made from juice, flesh, skin, etc.  So you need to make the juice first.  The best, easiest, and cleanest way to pull the fruit from the flesh is to slice off the stem of the pomegranate, exposing some of the fruit. 

Then from top to bottom, use your knife to slice through the flesh only in segments. 

Fill a large bowl with water, and submerge the pomegranate under water, peel the fruit apart and pop off the seeds.  They will sink to the bottom of the bowl, and the skin and membrane float.

Next, puree the pomegranate seeds in a blender. Pour the puree from the blender through a fine sieve.  With a spoon, gently push on the puree to get as much juice as possible.

Pomegranate Jelly Recipe:

2 cups pomegranate juice
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
1 TBSP + 2 tsp powdered, low-sugar pectin
2-1/2 cups of white cane sugar

Sterilize jars and prepare boiling water bath.  I sterilize my lids by putting a pan on the stove, and simmer the lids in the water.

In a large saucepan, combine juice and lemon juice.  Heat to slight boil, add the pectin.  Continue to boil, stir in sugar.  Bring to a roiling boil, 2 minutes.  Remove from heat, and carefully funnel the jelly into jars with a ladle.  (I use a small sieve as I ladle the jelly to get an even clearer jelly).  Wipe any spills off of the rims.  Afix lids and rings.  Boil in water bath for 10 minutes.  Turn off heat, remove jars with a jar clamp, put jars on a dry cloth to dry.
Licking the utensils - delish!

3 comments:

  1. I really love the tip about getting the seeds out in water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome! I hope you didn't stick your frog hand in MY jar! jk

    ReplyDelete