Saturday, February 25, 2012

Pickled Brussels Sprouts with Peppers

Jones knows what's good...
I used to feel sorry for Brussels sprouts, until I realized that in this new world of "artisan restaurants," American gastropubs," and  "local ingredients," that somehow Brussels sprouts have become one of the new sexy foods.  Hipsters have helped to convince us all that Brussels sprouts taste good! 

Personally, I do like Brussels sprouts, even though I never had them until a few years ago.  In fact, I never knew what they were.  Grandma Irma told me that my Little Daddy hates them, so we never had to eat them.  More recently, I've had Brussels sprouts in different iterations at local restaurants and in the Bay area, and I happen to really like them!  A few shipments ago, I also received some in my CSA box and steamed them with bacon.  Yum. 

I found this fun recipe on tastykitchen.com, my adaptation is below.  Minor changes based off of what I had in my kitchen.
For Brine:
8 c. water
1 c. white vinegar
1 c. red cider vinegar
1/4 c. rice vinegar
2 Tbsp. pickling spice
1/2 c. sea salt, ground
1 c. sugar
1 head fresh dill
2 cloves garlic

For Jars:
6 half pint jars
1 lb. Brussels sprouts, large ones cut in half
6 heads dill
3 red jalapenos, sliced in half
4 Tbsp. pickling spice
3 heads garlic, sliced in half

Bring all brine ingredients to a boil.  In sterilized jars, stuff sprouts in jars, and one each of dill heads, jalapeno halves, and garlic halves in each jar.  Separate pickling spice in 6 equal portions and place in each jar.  Pour brine in each jar, leaving 1/4" head space.  Place jars in boiling water canner for 10 minutes.  Since peppers are sliced open, these sprouts will be extra spicy.  Fun ways to eat these spicy sprouts:  sautee in their own juices for a side dish, roast until blackened on the edges and serve as an appetizer, chop in 1/2" pieces and toss in a salad - you can use the brine with high-end olive oil as the dressing, or use as a garnish in a martini or Bloody Mary.  How would you eat them?  xo, AB

No comments:

Post a Comment