Monday, October 3, 2011

And the Beet Goes On...

Turns out that using all of the fruits and vegetables in my CSA Box was not difficult.  Except...my beets almost went bad.  I only got 4 tiny (yet tasty) beets, and all of the recipes I found for beets were for 2 pounds or more.  So, I cheated and bought a few more at my local grocery store to complete a recipe to can some beets.  I further cheated in that the recipe was an insert in my CSA Box.  While I've made bunches of jam before, I'd never canned fruits or vegetables on my own, and I didn't want to mess it up.

Speaking of messes, beets are a hot mess, literally.  My fingers are still purple.  But look how beautiful they look - I can't wait to have these canned beets for soup and other yummy appetizers later this Fall!


Beet Still, My Heart
You'll notice that the jars are full of beet slices only.  Know that the stalks are edible, too, and are quite tasty.  Earlier this week, I chopped Swiss chard (including the stalks) and sauteed it with garlic, lemon zest and juice from one lemon, and a bit of salt.  Tossed with pasta - delicious!  This was not my idea, my little brother said his wife makes it this way sometimes.  I tried this dish again, but used the beet stalks and leaves with some remaining Swiss chard, and tossed in chopped heirloom tomatoes.  This made quite a bit of food; I fed two of my friends and had leftovers!
Sautee Swiss chard and/or beet stalks with garlic first...


...then add greens, lemon zest & juice, tomatoes...toss with cooked pasta and serve immediately.  Yummy!




2 comments: