Thursday, July 5, 2012

S'mores Cakes in a Jar

Today this is a blog post of a blog post from How Sweet it Is, but with one little twist of a recipe.  These S'mores Cakes were a HUGE dinner party hit for me a couple weeks ago.  Just look at this photo...need I say more?  Placing various food in jars has become quite the trend because it looks so darn pretty and yet has a homey, down-to-earth feel, but there are some practical reasons, too:
  1. You can transport liquids and salads and other fun things for lunch and to parties without spillage.
  2. If you don't finish what you eat, you can twist the lid on the jar and it will keep better in the fridge than other methods.
  3. The transparency shows off all of your hard work.
  4. No messy crumbs on the floor or cupcake papers left over at your get-together.
  5. You can individualize each serving to allow for food allergies or vegan/vegetarian friends.
Without further adieu, click here for S'Mores Cakes in Jars recipe!  And read on for my COOKIE DOUGH tweak.  Yes, I baked cookie dough in the bottom first when I realized that I had forgotten graham crackers at the grocery store, and since I simply loathe going to the grocery store (I'd rather do laundry), I wasn't about to go back.  Awhile ago, I bought some SUGAR COOKIE DOUGH from my niece for a school fundraiser and had frozen it for safekeeping...ding-ding-DING!  Pre-made cookie dough to the rescue!  I used a 2-inch ball of dough for each jar, cooked the cookie dough in the jars (with the jars in a cake pan with a 1/4-inch deep water) for 8 minutes, almost all the way through but not completely.  Then I followed the recipe completely thereafter.  Also, as you can see in the picture, I torched the marshmallows a bit too much...you can do this part with the oven rack on the lowest tier if you like them just browned a bit...my friends loved it just like this!  xo, AB

No comments:

Post a Comment